Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Paper Replication and Project / Re: Improved Replication
« Last post by Scott Onestak on May 04, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »
Hey,

So, it's really hard to help with getting your replication closer to the researcher's values because we don't know what you have already done.  Also, nobody has the perfect solution.

What I would say is: if your replication was close enough to receive near full marks on the assignment, then it should be good enough to use on the critique.  Even if one or two of the coefficients is off, just ask yourself if that variable is an important variable in your critique.  If it isn't the subject of your paper, then I don't think it is that big of a deal.
Paper Replication and Project / Re: Sources
« Last post by Scott Onestak on May 04, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Hey,

It's difficult to know how many sources a paper should have because all sources are not created equal.  Some sources have a vast amount of relevant information while other sources may only contain a few lines of material.

Too few sources, and you won't have enough content.  Too many sources, and your paper may be redundant.

Find a good middle ground where you're presenting a complete argument without repeating yourself, and only you can really know how many sources you need for that because everyone is working on different topics.
Paper Replication and Project / Re: Question about paraphrasing
« Last post by Scott Onestak on May 04, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Hey,

So here's a basic rule of citations: if it's your own idea, you don't need a citation.  If you take any idea that is not fully your own, then you need to cite it.

Everyday, people have the same ideas, and it's not plagiarism.  However, if you're looking at something and then coming up with an answer that is essentially the exact same thing, it would most likely be wise to cite your source.
Administrative / Re: Final Exam Extra Office Hours
« Last post by Thomas VanDer Straaten on May 04, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »
Hi all, I have to move my hours to 7-8.30, by some requests. The place is still tentatively Gleason; apologies for the change.
« Last post by Jasonb4165 on May 04, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
Can you give some tips none-the-less?
Paper Replication and Project / Sources
« Last post by cchang46 on May 04, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
How many sources should we aim to use if our argument is based primarily on research papers and journal sources? Thank you!
Paper Replication and Project / Question about paraphrasing
« Last post by mfan on May 04, 2017, 01:17:41 AM »
When I was trying to get a better understanding of the paper, I went through the midterms answers to the paper questions. I think they explained some points fairly well, so I was wondering that could I paraphrase from them?? Also, for example, even without looking at those answers, my interpretation of the hypothesis and rationale are pretty close to what it said in the answer. Should I be worried about this similarity??
Paper Replication and Project / Re: Difficulties with getting results
« Last post by Scott Onestak on May 03, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
Hey,

To be frank, if you cannot get results, then the paper will have to be a theoretical paper or explain why the results you got are the way they are.  I think you're asking more about "what happens if I cannot get strong, conclusive results?"

Based on everything you have learned this semester, you should be able to determine if something is statistically and/or economically significant.  With the results you have, your paper should be able to explain why there is omitted variable bias and what it is, what your proxy is and how it solves that problem, and why the results show some significance.

When using a proxy variable, even if something isn't a statistically significant deviation, you can still make your argument that there is omitted variable bias by stating why you think the proxy is only picking up some of the total omitted variable bias effect.  So, there are many options for you to go with to achieve promising results.  Your objective should be to defend the strongest argument you have.  Sound, conclusive data-driven statistics often make for the best arguments because if the analysis is done correctly, it is hard to dispute them.  However, a well-delivered theoretical argument can be just as effective.
« Last post by Roric Brown on May 03, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
No one has coefficients and significance levels that are completely perfect in their replication, so I would simply acknowledge that your replication was not perfect and move forward with your analysis from there.  The imprecision of your regression may matter more or less depending on what particular facet of the paper you are critiquing, as long as you are transparent with your original results, you should be ok.  Perhaps when you put the tables in your paper, include the original results of your replication so that the grader can specifically see what changes. 
Sorry we cannot give you any precise directions to yield a "perfect" replication, but as long as you include a full discussion and analysis you should be alright.
Paper Replication and Project / Re: Omitted variable bias
« Last post by Roric Brown on May 03, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
While you aren't required to include new regressions in your paper, if you think it adds to your argument and discussion then it may be worth including.
There is no definite amount that your estimates should change.  If you are concerned that the estimates are too similar to your original results when including what you argue to be an omitted variable, then be sure you address that.  Perhaps you should posit reasons why the coefficients didn't change very much.  Sorry I do not have any specific answer to your question.  There is no single answer for this (a lot of it likely depends on which variable you are now including), but remember to be thorough and specific in your argument.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10