Author Topic: Who are the moderators?  (Read 7222 times)

Nicholas Mavrelis

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the moderators?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:39 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Nick and I am so excited to be one of your Material TA's for the Fall 2015 semester! A little bit about me - I am a double-major in Financial Economics and Political Science with a minor in Legal Studies. I am currently pursuing a career in strategy consulting. I decided that I wanted to TA this course because I really enjoyed the material and I found the class and the assignments really engaging and helpful for finance-related fields. I'm hoping that you also find it as helpful and as engaging as I did!

My live office hours are Sunday from 6:00-8:00 and my regular office hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 2:00-3:00.

Best of luck this semester!

Vitraag Mehta

• Global Moderator
  • Vitraag Mehta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 03:06:01 AM »
Greetings to all the Econometrics Students!

Hello guys, my name is Vitraag Mehta and I am one of your Econometrics Stata TA's for Fall 2015. Additionally, I'm currently a Junior pursuing a double major with a B.A in Financial Economics and Mathematics along with a minor in Psychology. My long-lived collegiate ambition is to pursue the field of finance and climb up the ladder of the Wall Street. My main interests lie in Institutional Equities Research and Sales + Investment Banking. Apart from academia, you can find me singing a versatile genre of songs in different languages and styles (namely Indian and Western) be it a cappella or with accompaniments. You may also find me playing some intensely competitive table tennis.

As a sophomore, timidly going ahead to bravely embrace the challenge of taking Econometrics last semester, I believe I made one of the most crucially positive decisions in my collegiate career. The way Prof. Caetano designed this course opened up new analytical and systematic dimensions that catered to problem-solving in a rudimentary and fundamental sense. Despite the rigor of this course, if you keep up with the demands of this fairly candid course, it will be one of the most PRACTICAL skills that you will add to your collegiate experience. So just Keep Calm and Ace Econometrics. If you ever feel puzzled, you have a strong team of TAs to help you get right back on track!

My individual Office Hours are on Thursdays between 1-2 PM, Live Help (Stata) on Wednesday between 8-10 PM and Friday Recitations (selected weeks) between 4:50-6:05 PM.

I wish everyone luck and success!

Sophia Mlawer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
Hey Guys!

My name is Sophia and I'm super excited to be one of your STATA TA's for the Fall 2015 semester! I am currently a junior majoring in Economics and Health Policy with a minor in Legal Studies. I am planning on going abroad to Europe next semester and after I graduate, I hope to pursue a career in healthcare consulting. Outside of classes, I also like to dance and play soccer on campus.

My main advice would be to start the STATA homework as early as possible so that way, if you have any questions, you have time to ask.

My office hours are Tuesday 3:25-4:40 PM, my live help (STATA) hours are Tuesday 7-8 PM and Thursday 7-8 PM, and my recitation is on Friday 3:25-4:40 PM.

Hope you have a great semester!

Daniel Nolte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 04:57:33 PM »
Hey Everyone!

I'm a junior majoring in math and econ, and I'm going to be one of your STATA TAs for Fall 2015. A little bit about myself: I run cross country and track here at the U of R, I'm a writing fellow, and I'm strongly considering graduate school in economics or public policy once I graduate.

You are all very fortunate to be taking Econometrics with Professor Caetano this semester. She runs class like a well-oiled machine, and she genuinely wants all of you to be capable of real social scientific analysis by December. Put in the work, ask questions, take deep breaths, and you'll be just fine. Remember, you have a fleet of TAs on your team -- USE US.

Speaking of which, you can reach me in the following ways:

Live Help Office Hours
Thursdays 9:30PM-11:30PM (Online)

In-Person Office Hour
Fridays 11:00AM-12:00PM (Hark 207)

Recitation
12:30PM-1:45PM (Grgen 102)

Dan
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:13:08 PM by Daniel Nolte »

Joshua Wolfgang

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:40 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am a junior majoring in financial economics, and I will be a materials TA for the Fall 2015 semester. After college I want to go into finance and maybe return for an MBA somewhere down the future.

Although this class might get a little tough at some points this semester, I found it always helped to step back and reassess the bigger picture. If you have appreciation for the scientific method, I think you will thoroughly enjoy the concept of this class and how it gives you the ability to apply the scientific method to the social sciences.

My individual Office Hours are on Wednesday between 10-11 AM, Live Help (Stata) on Monday between 7-9 PM.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:01:32 PM by Joshua Wolfgang »
Class of 2017
Econometrics Material TA

Thomas VanDer Straaten

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
Hey everyone! My name is Thomas, and I'm one of your Materials TAs for the Spring 2017 semester. I'm currently a senior, double-majoring in Mathematics and Economics. I'm pursuing a career in finance, and will be working in investment banking after graduation.

I chose to TA this class because I really enjoyed the material, and believe Econometrics to be a highly rewarding field to develop knowledge in. Time management, willingness to learn, and organization are critical for success in this course. In this course, having the right answer is great, but you'll be often judged on more. I found it helpful to listen carefully to how Professor Caetano thinks and talks about the examples used in the notes. Aim to develop your 'scientific' economic reasoning and argumentation; be able to convincingly defend any answers you give on the assignments.

My office hours are Tuesday from 2-3pm (subject to change) and Wednesday from 10am-11am. My live help hours will be on Tuesday from 6pm-8pm. You can always reach me at tvanders@u.rochester.edu or (585) 485-2511 with any questions. Please don't hesitate to contact me, I'd be more than happy to do what I can to help. I wish everyone the best of luck and a great semester!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:07:55 PM by Thomas VanDer Straaten »

Roric Brown

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 12:40:15 PM »
Hello everyone.  My name is Roric and I'll be one of your STATA TA's for the semester.  I am an economics major with a minor in legal studies and intend to pursue a graduate degree in public policy or law after a few years of work experience.
I came into econometrics last year being fairly concerned about how I would do in the course since I wouldn't consider mathematics or statistics to be my strengths, but Professor Caetano thankfully lays out the course in such a way that the analysis and ideas of econometrics take precedent to actual calculations.  If you make sure to keep up with the class and start your STATA assignments as early as possible, the course is very manageable.  You have a team of TA's who are here to help.  Don't hesitate to ask questions in class, in office hours, or on the forum.

My office hours are Thursday 4-5 in Harkness 220 and my recitation is Friday 10:25-11:15 in Harkness 114.  Additionally my live help hours are 6-8 on Wednesday nights.

Best of luck,
Roric
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:17:14 PM by Roric Brown »

Laura Ackerman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Laura and I am one of your Material TA's for the Spring 2017 semester! I am a Financial Economics major with a minor is business and am currently pursuing a career in market research. I decided I wanted to TA this course because I really do believe this course has helped me tremendously in my research position, former internship and in being able to sell myself to my current employer. Please feel free to reach out with any questions regarding the material for the purpose of this class or even outside the classroom. I will do my best to help!  :)

My live office hours are Mondays from 8-10pm.

My regular office hours will be held:
Tuesdays: 11am-1pm Lattimore 210
Wednesdays: 10-11am Harkness 220

I also hold a study group through CETL Wednesdays 5-6pm in CETL (1st floor Dewey).

Scott Onestak

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 06:32:54 PM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Scott Onestak, and I will be one of the STATA TAs for the Spring 2017 semester.  I am currently a senior, double majoring in Data Science and Economics, so I really enjoy thinking about and discussing all things data.

I decided to TA for econometrics because I really enjoyed the course, especially being able to apply the principles learned in class to the replication and project later in the semester.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns regarding STATA or data interpretation in general.

My office hours are Thursday 11 - 12 in Goergen 110. 
My recitations are Friday 2 - 3:15. 
Finally, my live help event hours are Thursday 8 - 10.

Best,
Scott